Research Associate- Higher Education Practice Area
Hanover’s Higher Education Practice Area works with over 400 colleges and universities across the United States and internationally. The Higher Education Research team produces market research to guide our clients’ most important, strategic decisions. Hanover’s Higher Education Practice leverages primary and secondary research to help clients in a variety of areas, such as strengthening their academic portfolio, maximizing enrollment and retention, managing costs, improving brand awareness and perception, and engaging alumni.
This is an entry-level research position. This position will report to the practice area specific Research Consultant.
As a Research Associate on the generalist research team, you will work on a wide range of research topics. Common project types include new academic program market analyses, best practices reports, environmental scans, and competitive benchmarking analyses. The Research Associate works under the guidance of Research Directors and other senior research staff to execute individual projects for Higher Education clients. As a Research Associate, you also will have the opportunity to contribute to Hanover’s proprietary online library of reports and research briefs on key topics in higher education, as well as to the development of thought leadership pieces such as trends reports and presentations that are distributed to higher education leaders globally.
- Conduct secondary research to address research questions related to key topics in Higher Education
- Analyze and synthesize publicly available data and secondary source materials to:
- Draw key insights from the literature and relevant content
- Make actionable recommendations to decision-makers
- Write client-ready reports and create other types of deliverables (e.g., presentations, infographics, data supplements) to communicate findings to different audiences (e.g., senior higher education administrators and board members, faculty members, community members)
- Take ownership over and effectively manage different phases of the project lifecycle (i.e., research, analysis and synthesis, and creating a polished deliverable)
Skills & Experience
- Ability to work quickly and independently
- Ability to take ownership of projects from the beginning (i.e., developing a research strategy) to middle (i.e., conducting research) to end (i.e., creating a polished deliverable)
- Thrives in a fast-paced environment
- Able to meet deadlines
- Intellectually curious
- Motivated to assume increasing levels of responsibility
- Interested in Higher Education topics and helping Hanover’s Higher Education clients make important, research-driven decisions
- Experience conducting research, preferably market research or social science research, in a professional or academic setting and the ability to:
- Think creatively
- Problem-solve or course-correct
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Proven ability to closely proofread/self-edit own work
- Ability to succinctly and effectively synthesize content and pull out key insights
- Proficient user of Microsoft Office Suite (PowerPoint, Excel, Word, and Outlook)
- Familiarity with higher education and higher education databases (e.g., IPEDS)
- Experience writing for business/non-academic audiences
A bachelor’s degree in Economics, Psychology, Political Science, Sociology, Liberal Arts, or a related discipline is preferred, though candidates with relevant experience and who hold other degrees will be considered.
1 - 3 years of business or academic experience conducting research or professional writing. Applied market research experience is preferred.
About Hanover Research
- Base salary
- 401(K) employer matching program
- Comprehensive health and dental benefits package
- Advancement and management opportunities
- Community service opportunities
Hanover was named a Top 50 Market Research Firm by the American Marketing Association in 2015, 2016, 2017, and 2018, and has also been twice named a Washington Business Journal Fastest Growing Company.
Hanover Research is a global research and analytics firm that provides high quality, custom research through an annual, fixed-fee model for clients in the corporate, education, and healthcare sectors. Founded in 2003 and headquartered in Arlington, Virginia, Hanover employs high-caliber market researchers, analysts, and account professionals to deliver a robust service infrastructure that is revolutionary in its combination of flexibility and affordability. The core capabilities that drive Hanover’s research engine include primary research, secondary research, data analysis, and grant development. By enthusiastically fostering an environment of respect, encouragement, and support, we empower our clients and employees to seize opportunities for growth, impact, and advancement.
How to Apply
If you are interested in the prospect of working for a dynamic, growing company, we encourage you to submit your cover letter, resume, and a relevant professional writing sample (consisting of no more than 8 pages on an education or business related topic preferably) at:
Hanover Research is an Equal Opportunity Employer, providing equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, compensation, training, promotion, transfer, leaves of absence, and termination.