Data Analyst, Quantitative Research — Education Practice Area
The Data Analyst will be responsible for the production of quantitative research reports and strategic briefings on an extremely wide variety of education research topics. This position will allow for the swift development and refinement of a comprehensive set of research skills and provides the opportunity to develop a relationship with a young and rapidly-growing enterprise. We expect all employees to be intellectually curious, ambitious, and interested in assuming increasing levels of responsibility. This is a mid-level research position and candidates with greater experience may be considered for more senior roles which include supervising other researchers. This position will report to both the Quantitative Research Manager and the practice area specific Managing Content Director.
Hanover Research is a global research and analytics firm that provides high quality, custom research through an annual, fixed-fee model for clients in the corporate, education, and healthcare sectors. Founded in 2003 and headquartered in Arlington, Virginia, Hanover employs high-caliber market researchers, analysts, and account professionals to deliver a robust service infrastructure that is revolutionary in its combination of flexibility and affordability. The core capabilities that drive Hanover’s research engine include primary research, secondary research, data analysis, and grant development. By enthusiastically fostering an environment of respect, encouragement, and support, we empower our clients and employees to seize opportunities for growth, impact, and advancement.
As the second fastest growing market research firm worldwide, Hanover has been recognized as a 2017 American Marketing Association Gold Top 50 Firm and Gold Global Top 50 Firm and a 2015 Washington Business Journal 50 Fastest Growing Company.
Desired Skills and Attributes
- Process and clean datasets for analysis
- Perform statistical modeling and regression analysis on education related data;
- Design and develop customized quantitative research reports on various topics for Education clients;
- Collaborate with Content Directors on defining project scopes for client deliverables;
- Analyze complex research requests to provide actionable recommendations and key findings;
- Form hypotheses and locate compelling support for arguments under tight deadlines;
- Manage tight deadlines to create reports requiring few edits;
- Review formatting and data accuracy in key deliverables;
- Provide guidance and constructive feedback to peer research reports.
Other Skills and Attributes
- High comfort level with statistical analysis software, particularly R and Stata.
- Experience with, or ability to learn, data visualization software such as Tableau or Microsoft Power BI;
- Knowledge of and ability to apply econometric and statistical methods to practical research problems;
- Experience with other programming languages such as Python, with database systems and SQL, or with other analysis tools such as Tableau and ArcGIS is a plus;
- Experience working with and preparing real-world datasets for analysis, including identifying anomalies and reshaping or merging data;
- Willingness and ability to learn new quantitative skills as necessary and apply them in new contexts;
- High comfort level with Microsoft Office applications, such as MS Word, MS Excel, and MS Power Point.
- Strong command of the English language and demonstrated writing and editing skills, including experience writing or presenting for a business or non-technical professional audience;
- Demonstrable problem solving skills;
- Willingness to tackle complex, often unfamiliar research requests;
- Ability to collaborate and strategize with senior-level research directors;
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple short and long-term projects in order to meet deadlines;
- Ability to work quickly and independently with minimal guidance or oversight;
- Ability to work under pressure and multitask in a fast-paced environment;
- Ability to accept feedback and constructive critique positively;
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Extremely strong and demonstrable work ethic
Incoming level to be determined upon application. A Master’s or Doctoral degree in Statistics, Economics or a related quantitative discipline is preferred, though promising candidates with only a Bachelors degree may be considered for some positions
A Master’s degree in Statistics, Economics, or a related quantitative discipline. ABD or PhD in a quantitative discipline is preferred. Candidates with advanced degrees in Education or other disciplines with extensive quantitative coursework or professional experience will also be considered.
Incoming level to be determined upon application. 3 - 5 years of full-time work experience (or equivalent academic work) conducting quantitative research and analysis is preferred. Experience working in the K-12 or Higher Education sector (for example, in institutional research, assessment, or evaluation) is a plus.
Arlington, VA (or remote as may be needed)
- Base salary
- 401(K) employer matching program
- Comprehensive health and dental benefits package
- Advancement and management opportunities
- Community service opportunities
If you are interested in the prospect of working for a dynamic, growing company, we encourage you to submit your cover letter, resume, and a relevant professional writing sample (consisting of no more than 8 pages on an education or business related topic preferably) at: http://careers.hanoverresearch.com/current-openings/