Research Associate, Qualitative Research
The Research Associate role will support our Enterprise and Education practices as needed. This researcher will play an integral role in the design, development, and implementation of qualitative research studies to support our market research efforts. Key job responsibilities designing discussion guides, scheduling and conducting interviews with industry experts via email and telephone. In addition, the Associate will work closely with senior researchers to define member needs and draft final deliverables that generate actionable insights. The Associate is expected to manage multiple projects at once and should feel comfortable reaching out via phone to prospective experts. This position will allow for the swift development and refinement of a comprehensive set of qualitative research skills and provide the opportunity to develop a relationship with a young and rapidly-growing enterprise. We expect all employees to be intellectually curious, ambitious, and interested in assuming increasing levels of responsibility. This position will report to the Qualitative Research Manager.
Hanover Research is a global research and analytics firm that provides high quality, custom research through an annual, fixed-fee model for clients in the corporate, education, and healthcare sectors. Founded in 2003 and headquartered in Arlington, Virginia, Hanover employs high-caliber market researchers, analysts, and account professionals to deliver a robust service infrastructure that is revolutionary in its combination of flexibility and affordability. The core capabilities that drive Hanover’s research engine include primary research, secondary research, data analysis, and grant development. By enthusiastically fostering an environment of respect, encouragement, and support, we empower our clients and employees to seize opportunities for growth, impact, and advancement.
Hanover was named a Top 50 Market Research Firm by the American Marketing Association in 2015, 2016, 2017, and 2018, and has also been twice named a Washington Business Journal Fastest Growing Company.
Desired Skills and Attributes
- Design interview protocols
- Identify appropriate contacts for in-depth interviews (IDIs);
- Call through contact lists to schedule interviews;
- Conduct interviews with industry experts or anyone relevant to our research in our industries served;
- Maintain detailed and accurate records of contacts obtained;
- Take notes and audio record interviews;
- Compile detailed notes to augment interview transcripts;
- Distribute participant incentives;
- Redact and distribute reports, as applicable.
- Willingness to tackle complex, often unfamiliar research requests;
- Comfort with or experience interacting professionally over the phone;
- High comfort level speaking with industry experts over the phone;
- Experience conducting telephone interviews or telephone sales is preferred;
- Ability to work quickly and independently with minimal guidance or oversight;
- Ability to work under pressure and multitask in a fast-paced environment;
- Experience writing and researching for a business or professional audience;
- Ability to accept feedback and constructive critique positively;
- Demonstrable problem solving skills;
- Extremely strong and demonstrable work ethic;
- Strong command of the English language and demonstrated writing and editing skills;
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Proven academic achievement;
- High comfort level with Microsoft Office applications, such as MS Word, MS Excel, and MS Power Point.
A Bachelor’s degree in Anthropology, Sociology, Psychology, Political Science, or a related discipline is preferred, though candidates with relevant experience who hold other degrees will be considered.
1 - 3 years of business or academic experience conducting research, survey design/analysis, or professional writing. Applied market research experience is preferred.
- Base salary
- 401(K) employer matching program
- Comprehensive health and dental benefits package
- Advancement opportunities
If you are interested in the prospect of working for a dynamic, growing company, we encourage you to submit your cover letter, resume, and a relevant professional writing sample (consisting of no more than 8 pages on an education or business related topic preferably) at: http://careers.hanoverresearch.com/current-openings/
Hanover Research is an Equal Opportunity Employer, providing equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, compensation, training, promotion, transfer, leaves of absence, and termination.