Accountant / Payroll Specialist
Hanover Research is seeking an experienced Accountant / Payroll Specialist for our Arlington, VA office with excellent attention to detail, a strong work ethic, self-assurance and a high sense of integrity, confidentiality and honesty. This opportunity is ideal for an individual accustomed to a fast-paced office environment dealing with multiple offices in multiple states in the US.
The successful candidate will share responsibility for payroll processing, administrative accounting duties such as reviewing, entering and processing bonus/commission payouts and expense reimbursements, credit card reconciliation and timekeeping administration.
Essential Payroll responsibilities:
- Accurate preparation and submission of semi-monthly payroll using current timecard and payroll / accounting system;
- Record keeping and tracking of changes per payroll cycle;
- Consistent review of timecards and timecard system maintenance as well as regular salaried payroll;
- Prepare payroll reports to include paid time off and holiday balances;
- Communicate with third party benefits provider;
- Manage paid time off and holiday tracking systems;
- Audit new hires/rehires in Paylocity, including tax withholdings, reimbursements and benefits deductions;
- Audit all terminations in Paylocity ensuring accuracy;
- Compile, analyze, prepare, and input payroll data using Paylocity to produce accurate and timely payroll;
- Monitor Benefit interface to ensure accurate benefit deductions;
- Review various payroll reports and payroll register to ensure accuracy;
- Review and processe any employee garnishment ensuring compliance with demand served;
- Ensure compliance with all applicable state and federal wage and hour laws;
- Prepare management reporting as requested (benefit deductions, bonuses, etc.);
- Prepare payroll journal entries;
- Maintain current Payroll System training to ensure and achieve alignment with HR, Benefits, etc.
- Perform general clerical duties as need and for special projects including data entry, filing, faxing, bulk mailings, etc.
- Work independently to resolve issues.
Essential Accounting Responsibilities:
- Review, code, and process indirect/direct employee expense reports;
- Distribute, code, and enter company credit card account reconciliations;
- Maintain timekeeping and expense system;
- Occasional filing and special projects including archiving prior year’s accounting records;
- Reconciliation of accounts.
- Bachelor's degree in business, accounting/finance, or similar field, OR the equivalent years of professional related experience;
- A minimum of three years’ experience in payroll processing;
- A minimum of one year’s experience in accounting;
- Effective problem solving and trouble shooting skills with payroll systems;
- Intermediate proficiency in Microsoft Office applications, especially Excel;
- Superior written and verbal communication skills with emphasis placed on accuracy and diplomacy;
- Excellent organizational skills and strong attention to detail;
- Ability to work independently with limited oversight.
The work is typically performed in an office environment, which requires normal safety precautions; work may require some physical effort in the handling of light materials, boxes or equipment. The work location is Arlington, VA.
Desired Skills and Attributes
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills;
- Established organization, multi-tasking and prioritization abilities.
- Strategic thinker and solutions oriented approach to daily activities;
- Comfortable with ambiguity and able to problem solve without clear guidelines;
- Experience with Paylocity payroll system;
- Knowledge of federal and state wage laws;
- Knowledge of payroll tax laws;
- Experience with Intacct accounting software highly preferred.
- Strong MS office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) skills.
The position requires the minimum of a Bachelor's degree in business, accounting/finance, or similar field, OR the equivalent years of professional related experience;
Minimum experience of 3 years in experience in a similar role.
- Exempt salaried role
- 401(K) employer matching program
- Comprehensive health and dental benefits package
- Advancement opportunities
- Community service opportunities
If you are interested in the prospect of working for a dynamic, growing company, we encourage you to submit your cover letter and a resume at: http://hanoverresearchcareers.catsone.com/careers/
Hanover Research is an Equal Opportunity Employer, providing equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, compensation, training, promotion, transfer, leaves of absence, and termination.